many potato soup recipes are heavy in dairy and high in saturated fat, which can affect digestion and increase inflammation for some people and contribute to chronic disease for many others! this recipe is a lighter, vegetable-heavy soup that can be thrown together in less than an hour.
plant-based hearty potato soup
- instant pot
- immersion blender
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 lbs golden potatoes unpeeled and cubed; any type of potato will likely work here.
- 4 oz baby Bella mushrooms chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 cup plain soy milk milk of your preference will work
- 1 carton low-sodium vegetable broth or ~4 cups. can substitute water if you don't have broth
- Add 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil to your instant pot and stir in chopped onion, celery, carrots and crushed garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in thyme, parsley, salt and pepper – sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients into the vegetable mixture: cubed potatoes, chopped mushrooms, bay leaves, soy milk and vegetable broth.
- Replace and lock the instant pot's lid, set the valve to seal, and cook on Manual High Pressure for 10 minutes. Once the soup is finished cooking do a “quick release” and removed the lid.
- Use immersion blender, blender or food processor to achieve desired consistency.
- this recipe will likely do well in slow cooked on the stove or in a crockpot – try on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours!
- feel free to add toppings per your preference: chives, plain greek yogurt, shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon bits